Thanks goes out to Sara Kass, who was the first vinyl-collecting, indie hipster to answer my 5am text regarding whether or not vinyl records do come with liner notes. That should be a clear indication of: 1) how dedicated I am to making comics, even forgoing sleep, and 2) that I don’t own any vinyl.
So there you have it, folks: my favorite albums of the year. Feist’s newest album — which is a little bit happier and more upbeat than “Let It Die” — is actually frighteningly addicting, especially if you accompany her music with Patrick Daughters’ superb video-making abilities.
Of Montreal consistently puts on interesting live shows, and “Hissing Fauna…” was definitely my favorite album of the summer.
Now I fell madly in love with The National after repeatedly listening to “Boxer,” and even though I didn’t think so highly of them at the time, it helped me reconnect with “Alligator” (which I feel is a less cohesive BUT nonetheless better album).
Lastly, I started listening to The Arcade Fire’s “Neon Bible” as soon as I started my last semester of college and felt it was at least on par with “Funeral.” Even though it was a close battle between The Arcade Fire and The National for the number one spot, watching the former in concert immediately after graduation stirred up old feelings and rekindled my love of the album.
And just to recap
my Jeffro’s Top 20 Albums of 2007, especially if you’re too lazy to check the archives:
20) Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend
19) Justice – Cross
18) Band of Horses – Cease to Begin
17) Battles – Mirrored
16) Iron & Wine – The Shepherd’s Dog
15) St. Vincent – Marry Me
14) Ted Leo & The Pharmacists – Living with the Living
13) Radiohead – In Rainbows
12) Menomena – Friend and Foe
11) Stars – In Our Bedroom After The War
10) The New Pornographers – Challengers
09) Panda Bear – Person Pitch
08) LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver
07) Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
06) Kevin Drew – Spirit If…
05) Voxtrot – Voxtrot
04) Feist – The Reminder
03) Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
02) The National – Boxer
01) The Arcade Fire – Neon Bible